Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wishful Thinking-Perfect Storm

Earl Klugh put out a recording in the 80s called Wishful Thinking. If you are a fan of light Jazz it is really worth a listen. The title track of that recording has been in my head all morning. I just read an article in Compliance Week about the current state of internal fraud and what is surprising is that despite survey numbers that indicate a steady increase in employee fraud (embezzlement etc.) companies have no plans to increase their efforts to monitor or fight fraud. It invites another less pleasant image. The scene in the Movie "The Perfect Storm" where a wave (bigger than anything ever encountered in reality) washes over the boat in the storm.

It is unfortunate, because as a fraud examiner the best way I know to erode my own credibility is to try and scare people into doing audits. Worse, that it should come as a surprise to anyone that fraud would rise in a down economy.

I hope you have a survival suit.

No comments: